Sunday, October 3, 2010

Brrrrrr!

 I love fall!  The first chilly days are such a rush, I have no idea why.  I really dislike cold weather (like January/February) but the preview days in fall are just gorgeous.  It was fun to bundle my family up in new crocheted things this morning.  Dorothy and Worth are wearing wool pumpkin hats and I'm in a sweater I made last year but was too pregnant to squeeze into.  It's a terrifically soft alpaca that I scored for cheap at, of all places, Tuesday Morning, then ran out of and had to pay out the @ss on the Internet for more.  Oops!  But I love the sweater.  It is based on a pattern (the Cupcake, from the Happy Hooker book) intended as a fitted, cotton spring thing, but I used a larger hook and improvised a bit to make a warmer tunic to layer with.  I hate being hot in sweaters, but this one has some breathability.
And a new hat for me, finished just today.  I used yarn that Rob bought me for our anniversary and a free pattern from Ravelry, the Bonita Hat.  I love the colors he picked out and I'm trying to pretend it doesn't itch.  I may give it a rinse in some Eucalan next time I'm washing woolen kid stuff and see if that helps.
Worth looks totally adorable in the hats I made for him last year while I was pregnant, but I'm afraid I'm having a little trouble squeezing them onto his sweet enormous noggin.  I remember looking up in a book the "average" head size of a nine-month-old when planning this winter's hats (he'll be 9 months in December), but unfortunately these are tight.  But for now I can still squeeze them on, and I love this stocking one in particular, which was worked on no particular pattern and with the goal of using up some scrap yarn.  Cutie boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment