Friday, January 28, 2011

Bird curtains for the bathroom

Dorothy and I both spent some time today sewing.  Worth spent some time today being a nuisance.  I think we've officially ended the sweet baby stage and entered the terrible toddler era.  He's not walking yet, but his combination of seal-hop crawling and cruising gets him around quite well, and his toddler-esque curiosity is proving to be a menace to his health and the safety of everything in his path.  Here is a cute picture of Dorothy trying to sew (before you get too impressed with my preschooler's skills, let me casually observe that there doesn't seem to be any thread in the machine) while her brother hovers annoyingly around her, using a thread cone as a megaphone and trying to figure out the best way to get his fingers poked with a needle.
And the very first befores and afters of the new house!  Here is my downstairs bathroom before a paint job and new curtains...
and here is after.  I wouldn't call the room "done," because I'm still going to sew a coordinating bathtub mat, commission some frame-able bird art from my resident young artist, and find some sort of tray to coral toiletries on the back of the toilet, but the painting is done and the curtains are hung.  I used this fabric for the body of the curtains, and this for the scalloped edge, which I made using the very fancy (ahem) technique of tracing around a jar bottom.  The paint was left over from Dorothy's old bedroom in our old house, and is Pastel Sage by Glidden.  I love how much fresher a room can feel after a new coat of paint!  Now when I get discouraged about the in-progress state of the rest of the house, at least I have one room I can visit to view progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment