Friday, February 18, 2011

Sorghum cookies

This picture is blurry, but it's hard to shoot a moving target.  Dorothy is displaying the apron I found at a thrift store recently.  Guess where it's destined?  This lovely turn in the weather has inspired me to make camping reservations for us at some state parks we want to check out this spring.  I'm so looking forward to our first 2011 trip!
Today in the kitchen I experimented with a local ingredient I'm not very familiar with.  I had picked up a recipe for sorghum cookies at the state fair last summer and had yet to try it.  I altered the recipe to suit our diets and our taste, and they were really quite tasty.  As Rob said, "I still don't really understand what sorghum is, but it makes very good cookies."  Exactly.

Here's the recipe in case you decide to Bake Kentucky Proud as well (or something):
1 cup plus 2 TB sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
1/4 cup canola oil
1 egg
1/3 cup sorghum
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup oats
1 1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut

Preheat oven to 350 and line three cookie sheets with parchment.  Whisk together flours, soda, and salt in a bowl or large measuring cup, set aside.  Cream butter, oil and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer, add egg, vanilla and sorghum.  Beat well.  Add flour mixture in two parts, beating well after each addition.  Stir in oats, chips and coconut.  Drop onto prepared cookie sheet and bake 10 to 12 minutes.  Cool three minutes on the sheet, then transfer to wire rack.

1 comment:

  1. They sound good. As I understand, sorghum is rather like molasses, or even a type of molasses. I have an oatmeal raisin cookie recipe that has molasses in them that I really like. As usual, Dorothy is adorable!

    ReplyDelete