Sunday, August 1, 2010

A big deal


I had a birthday a couple days ago, and although I truly feel fine about being 34, for some reason the song stuck in my head all day Friday was Thunder Road--not the whole song, just the bit about "so you're scared and you're thinkin' that maybe we ain't that young anymore." But truly, I feel fine about where I am in life and that I'm 34. Show a little faith! (Thank you Bruce.) I had a great day with my family.

Today I'm at the sewing machine with Baby Boy in mind. He's grown so fast almost nothing weather-appropriate fits him anymore, and I continue to be pretty unhappy with store-bought boy clothes (football, anyone?). I also can't just head off to the thrift store and find good sewing fabric for him like I can for Dorothy. But luckily it doesn't take much fabric to make baby clothes, even for babies the size of this one, so I journeyed to Joann last night and came home with a nice little selection to keep me busy for a few days. Today I made him a pair of shorts and a matching t-shirt. I don't think the picture shows the detail on the shorts, but they turned out pretty cute. They are long, like surfer shorts, and I sewed faux pockets on the front and a useless but cute little front button for decoration. They fit nicely over his cloth diaper. The tee is an old onesie from Dorothy's babyhood that I cropped to make a regular shirt (because I wouldn't Worth to look dorky with a onesie tucked into his casual shorts) and then ironed on printer transfer paper. I created the transfer by scanning the shorts fabric and using it as a border for my text. It ain't a beauty, but hey, it's all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment