Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Don't feed the wildlife

We have a house!  Hooray!  To our great surprise and delight, the owner of the Good Memories house (see below) accepted our offer outright.  Now we're feeling a little foolish that we didn't just give that a try a week ago and save ourselves the anxiety.  We have the housing inspection and tests yet to get through, but we're hoping for the best.  I'm so excited about this new house and I think it's going to be a great fit for our family.  There is such a terrific crafty space with a cozy wood-burning stove in the basement!  There is also all the crazy wallpaper, outdated fixtures, and appliances that might be as old as me, but we'll deal with those in time.  It'll be like the camper project but on a large scale.  This house it the one I had in mind months ago when I bought all the yellow florals to make Dorothy a quilt.  The wallpaper will stay up in her new room at her insistence, and I'll finally give those sheets a second life once my sewing space is unpacked at our new address.


The kitchen in this house is so bad right now, with a wallpaper wharf scene, outdated cabinetry, and brown appliances, but I can already picture the makeover in my mind.  The whole house has a real World War II vibe (it was built in '41) and I'm going to accessorize the kitchen with a vintage Kentucky tourism theme in mind.  I have already picked up a few charmingly hokey vintage plates that were sold at Kentucky tourist destinations decades ago (eBay and local thrift shops) and these sweet salt and pepper shakers.  And out of respect for the home's time period Rob and I have vowed to drink more martinis and listen to more Frank Sinatra.
This scene was from my kitchen this morning.  Worth scooted over to Dorothy's chair and was gruntingly begging her for food.  Dorothy asked if she could feed him, and my first reaction was, "if you feed him, he'll never leave you alone."  But then it occurred to me that he's a baby not a dog, so I said she could.  So she fed him bits of cereal from her cup, and well, now he'll probably never leave her alone.

1 comment: