Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Brother/Sister Outfits

We've had a little more than our fair share of drama in the last few days. We finally got the snow that had been threatened last week, and on Saturday morning while Rob and Dorothy were out playing in it, they witnessed some crazy driver careen down the icy street, smash into my car, pause, then move on. Rob was not able to catch the license plate number. Ugh. So now the only one of our cars that will hold a rear-facing car seat is in the shop, and I'm waiting to hear back how long it will take to fix the damage. (But am so glad my Mom has loaned me hers in the meantime! And that we have insurance.)

Then on Monday afternoon, after struggling to find the source of the strong, strange odor in the house all day, a man in fire-fighter gear knocked on my door and suggested we open doors and windows "and might want to leave for a little while" due to a chemical spill at a nearby factory. He assured me it wasn't explosive. Um...great. So Dorothy and I headed to my parents' for the rest of the day (thankful once again for them!), and also ended up spending the night and next day there as well, because the smell lingered. My already-packed hospital bag came in quite handy as we were trying to leave the stinky house in a hurry. Phone calls to the local government hotline and fire station were not helpful--apparently it is "unclear" which chemicals spilled, or what noxious concoction they made once mixed. My doctor feels like as long as the odor didn't give me breathing trouble, the baby is fine (not going go grow an extra head at this point, with just a few weeks to go), but of course I worry about my three-year-old's lungs! I wish we hadn't stayed to breathe it all day, but I was blaming the whole thing on my super-pregnant nose.

But today we're back and I got back to my sewing machine. I'd left this dress project half-finished in Monday's evacuation. I want to get photographs of the kids taken together a week or two after the new guy is born, and I'd been thinking of how to dress them. I decided to make Dorothy a blue dress (above) trimmed in white, and will dress the baby in a coordinating blue diaper (also homemade) and white t-shirt. Dorothy loves her dress and looks cute in it, and I let her go ahead and wear it now. Hopefully it won't get terribly stained between now and that eventual picture day!

No comments:

Post a Comment