Thursday, June 24, 2010

Family jewels

I'd been wanting to do beading with Dorothy and had been waiting for the right day. Today seemed good, so I mentally reserved the late afternoon for some mother/daughter crafting. But then my girly, who spent the night with her Nana and Opa last night and apparently slept very little, sacked out all afternoon. After two hours of her nap I went ahead and got the beading things ready--just to have them out. After two and a half I decided to just start without her. I made myself a necklace inspired by the tag-style ones that are popular now. I put little screws in Scrabble tiles with the initials of my two kids and then strung them on a chain I already had with pendants I made from their birthstones.


Dorothy finally woke up from her over three hour nap and was very excited with the new craft. She dug right in ("I don't need help, Mom.") and went to work. I've had to practically drag her from the table to complete the day's other activities. And now it's nearly ten o'clock and as I type this she's still stringing beads, arguing with her father about the necessity of stopping for the night. I just told her we could make more jewelry tomorrow and she said, "But I just want to do it tonight; I'm not available tomorrow." Not true (she is, in fact, available), but oh so funny. And I think she's making me a new necklace. Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment