Sunday, June 20, 2010

Feet, fathers, and a cold jar of something

I haven't had much to blog about this week. While recovering from a summer cold, I've been spending most of my down time backing up photos and burning our family movies to DVD. I don't even try to "keep up" with things like that--I just take care of it all in one big effort every six months or year or so and that seems to work well enough. It's fun when I do, because we have a great time reviewing Dorothy's progress and re-watching some favorite old family movies.

The picture above is Worth's feet this morning. I made these shoes (crocheted then wet-felted) during that last painful week of pregnancy, when I just kept churning out booties and hoping to go into labor. I watched the Olympics while I did these one night. I love them, but I don't know what they are supposed to be. Jester feet? I think they look a little like leaves, as if his chubby little legs just sprouted out of them. I've been waiting for him to grow into them, and now he has. Fun!
This project was actually from a couple weeks ago. I was tempted by a set of clear plastic iced tea tumblers at Costco, but felt like I didn't need any more drinking plastic in my life. So I assembled this instead. It's a wide-mouth canning jar with a stainless steel drinking straw. I used a metal punch to poke just the right sized hole in a heavy-duty plastic lid, so it's reasonably spill-proof, easily washable, not plastic (except the lid), and cheap! This week I've been guzzling juice out of it as I try to kick this cold. This size jar fits nicely in my car drink holder, but I can use any size wide-mouthed jar.

And last but not least, Father's Day! Dorothy and I put together a nice little gift bag for Rob with a Dorothy-decorated coffee mug, a picture for his office, a whole stack of Dorothy art, and an impish pair of cufflinks from Etsy with little treasure maps on them. I think he likes it all (although he unintentionally attempted to dissassemble some Dorothy art that was supposed to stay folded--oops!), and now we're off to spend the rest of the afternoon appreciating him however he wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment